The Leyland Sherpa Van from the 1970s-1980s in the 1:76 scale series of small commercials comes in the highly popular Royal Mail livery of bright red with yellow graphics, in this case bi-lingual Welsh/English. Registered HBO 703W, the number plate dates the vehicle as 1980-81 and from Cardiff.
The Leyland Sherpa van was manufactured between 1974 and 1982. It was launched initially as the Leyland Van but in 1975, the name was changed to Leyland Sherpa. The first examples consisted of vans of 1.85, 2.15 and 2.40 tons. In 1978, the 1.7 and 2.0 litre engines replaced the original 1622cc and 1798 cc petrol units and the range was redesignated as Freight Rover 200, 230 and 250. This example is classed as the SHERPA 200, which appears on the rear of the model. The Sherpa proved to be very versatile too as its bodyshape lent itself for use as crewbuses and minibuses, as well as various chassis-cab options. Its large load space was also an advantage for small commercial van operators.