RRRG new website top logo resized

 

Restoration diary

Reports of restoration work on 50029 and 50030.

Announcement of working party dates and details of restoration work carried out at working parties.

Work Party 21/04/2012

Myself, Sarah and Toby the dog attended site and the usual weekender Dave was there when we arrived. Dave spent the Saturday erecting a shelving unit the group acquired courtesy of one of our volunteers employers (enough said) and having a general tidy up.

We spent the day working on assessing our KV10's. A couple were found to have damaged PCB connectors, I have found a source for acquiring replacements.

A damaged KV10 PCB Connector




The worst KV10 was dismantled to use a template to check the remaining units and to provide spare parts.

The two KV10 boards removed.



The dismantled shell and heat sink of a KV10




A list of spares needed is being compiled and all parts sourced so repairs can be carried out prior to transporting the KV10's and associated PCB Control Cards for testing.

Continue reading
4125 Hits
0 Comments

WorkParty 14th April 2012

Following a recommendation from The Fifty Fund I made contact with a Mr Noel Craigen, a former Technical Engineer with experience at various British Rail Traction Maintenance Depots, to assess and test our KV10s and Control Cards.



For those who are not in the know a KV10 regulates the voltage of either the Main Generator or the ETH Generator and are otherwise known as CU3 & CU6 respectively (each Class 50 locomotive uses two KV10 units). Each KV 10 has a pair of Control Cards that need testing and pairing also.



I met Noel at Rowsley on Saturday and we carried out an initial inspection of the KV10's and associated Control Cards. Noel has confirmed prices to carry out electrical and function tests as necessary. Once I have ensured any visible damage or missing parts have been repaired/replaced the KV10s will be transported to Yorkshire to Noel's premises for the tests and necessary repairs  to be completed.

Chris Dave & Me sorting through KV10's



Me inspecting KV10 Control Cards




This is another important stage of the electrical and control work underway.

Continue reading
3885 Hits
1 Comment

Work on site 1st April

I found another 10-12 conduit and pipe clamps that I need for in the generator room. I cleaned these up with wet and dry sandpaper and a wire cut brush, then white spirited them and painted them. Also put another coat of paint on the 40-odd clamps that I did last time I was on site.

I also re-secured 50029’s tarpaulin which was loose and flapping around a bit on one corner.

Dave Rolfe was on site as usual and continued with painting a second coat of paint onto the radiator grilles.  I took a few photos and noted how good they were looking; we will share these here soon.

Continue reading
4888 Hits
0 Comments

Workparty March 25th 2012

Dave was on site all weekend working on cleaning and painting one of the bodyside radiator grilles.



Ian and Pete with some assistance from Dave continued working on the ex-50008 engine replacing some of the head covers.



Steve and Sarah assessed traction motor contactor arc-chutes so spares and paxolin to replace missing parts can be ordered.



The long process of verifying all the cables from the electrical cubicle to equipment in 50029 was started. Each cable was to be tested with a multi-meter to confirm continuity. The first cables checked were those from terminal bar TB6 with blower No1 cables testing out ok. Problems were then encountered as we checked Blower No2 but could get no reading and eventually realised this was because the cables and flexible conduit had been cut about an inch from the connection box.



As it is too difficult to pull any slack through we have decided to dismantle the conduits with a view to reinstalling via a shorter route up the front of the blower negating the need to replace the cables.

Continue reading
4108 Hits
1 Comment

Workparty report for weekend 17th & 18th March.

Tom prepared the cab vestibule at no 2 end for repainting and carried out repairs to ceiling trims. new cab light frames were cut and replacement lights fitted.  Chris unseized the bolts securing the rad fan ducting to the fan motor and freed off the rad fan securing nuts. Doesn't sound much but all are captive and rusted solid so needed considerable work to avoid shearing and drilling out later.

Tim & Dom continued buzzing the surface rust and grime off the brake rigging that had been selected by Chris and Dave for use on the bogie overhauls.  The pile of "to do" components is now virtually nothing and Dom got a very nice facial treatment out of it as well, after which he discovered the shower in the Peak Rail shed is stored unserviceable. Tim took to the bits of rigging Dom had done to clean the areas he couldn't reach, using a drill as opposed to the wire cup brush Dom had. Following this and an unexpected appearance by Chris Bodell the two of them dragged the cleaned-up rigging to join the rest of it in an undercover location.  There they sprayed the pieces with light oil in order to preserve them until we start reassembling the bogies.

I only attended on Sunday, and with the length of the committee meeting, I only had time to fit the last missing shaped copper bar I had made, which goes from the reverser to no.2 traction motor contactor.

Continue reading
3502 Hits
0 Comments